Many say the drive is the most exciting shot in golf. I say the accuracy and variability of the approach is far superior.
Though theology is more like the approach, our temptation is often to swing like a drive.

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Day 1 - To the Negev

That is, to the south. That is where we went today, southeast from Tel Aviv to Masada first. It was almost a three hour drive and the terrain looked a lot like New Mexico and Arizona.

Karen will be proud to know that we hiked up the mountain to Masada. (Her guide made them hike the 1.5 miles when she was here) Most people take the cable car up and then some walk down. We took the cheaper option and rode the cable car back down. You can read more about Masada from the link on my last page if you want to. It was an impressive site.

We took a quick dip in the Dead Sea. I wasn't all that excited about this, but I have to confess that it is quite the experience. I felt like a fishing bobber sitting in the water. You just can't sink. If you flip over on your belly your feet kick right back to the surface. Our guide book describes one cruel Roman ruler following some sick tradition of binding and throwing in few men on arrival just to see if they would really float. Sick, but I have to tell you that they would indeed have floated. Even I, with no body fat at all, never even got my head wet.